Software Engineer at NRF National Research Foundation
Activities at CERN include technical projects where researchers, engineers and technicians based in South Africa are involved in instrumentation projects, and activities on upgrading the accelerator and research [Email Address Removed]Through its Technology Innovation Platform (TIP), iThemba LABS aims to accelerate innovation in radiation detectors, accelerator-based science and engineering, and the use of artificial intelligence. , in particular machine learning in particle accelerators. These aspirations require engineers who specialize in designing, building, programming, and operating scalable distributed data infrastructures and computing platforms.
- Apply expertise in software design and engineeringApply expertise in software engineering for data acquisition systems and accelerator-based beam generation and analysis using artificial intelligence techniquesApply innovative techniques in software engineering and its associated electronic and artificial intelligence processingGuide and support users of the inherent software and algorithms and undertake the installation and implementation of detector measurement systems and beam analysis techniques at CERN-ISOLDETWork in close collaboration with internal scientific staff and external scientific users for the support of software systems
- Troubleshoot data acquisition and artificial intelligence software and systems Maintain and update documents and records for software maintenance Play a central role in motivating, designing and commissioning new software projects (coordinate a team and budget)Consult with users on requirements for approval projects and possible future projectsProvide regularly updated reports on the status of the software and related algorithms and features
- MEng in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Computational Physics, Electronic Engineering; OR Minimum of MSc
- in experimental nuclear physics Proven experience in the design, implementation and deployment of complex electronic or computer projects
- Proven computer science background in areas such as algorithms, data structures, and software design (design patterns)
- A passion for software development, artificial intelligence and/or machine learning In-depth knowledge of one or more of the following areas: radiation detection, digital signal processing, parallel processing or automated software development
- In-depth knowledge of the TCP/IP protocol stack
- Troubleshooting skills
- Advanced expertise in signal processing in high resolution spectroscopy
- Software engineering (design, programming, testing) Systems integration Application support Database use Expertise in radiation detectors Stimulate innovation and facilitate technology transfer Assess links with industry Develop software systems on measurement for in-house projects and experiments at CERN commissioning and operation of projects related to data acquisition and/or artificial platforms implemented
- Perform appropriate software and algorithm support
- Good interpersonal and communication skills Good teaching and training skills Excellent analytical thinking skills Excellent problem solving skills Good software design skills Good software programming skills Good communication and teamwork skills Ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision Ability to work as an individual and as part of a team Excellent safety awareness Ability to work safely in a laboratory environment Availability to work outside normal working hours
- Extensive programming experience in at least one language such as Go, Java, C/C++, Python, VHDL, etc.
- with demonstrated skills in software engineering (design, implementation, testing and maintenance of software) Artificial intelligence techniques Proficiency in embedded programming for real-time production systems as well as distributed systems programming
- Solid experience with the Linux operating system or any similar Unix variant
- Experience in the design and development of automated signal and image processing software
The NRF website provides more details on initiatives and activities
Applicants must submit a full CV by registering and applying online through the NRF Recruitment and Selection Portal.
Applications should be accompanied by a cover letter indicating the candidate’s suitability for the position.
The names and contact details of at least three arbitrators must be provided.
- Skills in the field of application of the position
- Knowledge to be relevant
- Responsible in the performance of duties
About the employer:
The National Research Foundation (NRF) supports and promotes research and human capital development through funding, the provision of national research facilities and science outreach platforms and programs to the wider community in all fields of science and technology, including natural sciences, engineering and social sciences. and human sciences.
iThemba LABS is Africa’s leading research center for accelerator-based science committed to advancing knowledge, transforming lives and inspiring the nation by probing the fundamental structure and origins of matter; Advance the understanding of condensed matter; Impacting societal needs by providing services to the health and environment sectors.
Find out more/Apply to this position